A Place for New Photographers and Those Wanting to Learn the Basics

I bought my first and only DSLR in September 2007 and have been a very keen enthusiast ever since. I usually go out walking and taking photographs at least once a week and try to post regularly on my blog 'Let Me Show You What I See'. I feel that I need a new project so I decided to start this new blog to pass on what I have learnt in the last three years to anyone just starting out in photography or wanting to know a bit more about how to use their photography equipment. I still consider myself to be little more than a practiced beginner so it's going to be at a fairly basic level but hopefully understandable to anyone who is starting out with thir first camera or struggling with their equipment or technique.

I have been contemplating what strategy to follow with the order of topics to cover because I'm wanting to keep each post quite short and gradually build up into a useful resource. In the end I decided to start with a post about taking your first photos and then see where the subsequent posts take me. I will number the posts based on the order I first write then and I might go back and update them with extra information or links to other posts as I progress through the subject matter. I will try to make the content generic so the make and model of you camera isn't relevant and hopefully useful for either DSLR, compact or point and shoot cameras.

If anyone has any specific questions they would like me to answer, please send me an email or put the questions in a comment. I can't guarantee the accuracy of the answers I provide or anything else I post as I only know what I know. I may express opinions with which people may disagree but they are just my opinions and I am happy for people to disagree. I am hoping to learn from this blog myself as I expect to have a need to read things from my camera manual and search for information on the internet as I cover subjects. I am also hoping that the experience will improve my own photography technique as I produce images for inclusion in the blog to illustrate the specific subject.

Wednesday 24 November 2010

006 - Testing Picture Styles

Following on from my previous post I decided to do some testing of the picture styles over the weekend just to confirm what I had written. It was a bit of a dull overcast day so I thought the best way to do the testing was to use my fairly fast f1.8, 50mm fixed focal length lens to give the camera chance to open up the aperture to get in more light.

Now I have no intention in this blog to concentrate on equipment at all but I would urge every beginner with a DSLR to get a fast 50mm lens because they are very versatile, even though there's no zoom, and they are very cheap. My Canon lens is £75 at Amazon, UK or around $100 in Amazon, USA, which does mean we're paying extra in the UK as usual but it's still a bargain. The build quality isn't that great but if it breaks it's cheap to replace. The Nikon 50mm f1.8 is slightly more expensive and both companies also make and f1.4 and Canon make an f1.2 but these are not so cheap and probably not worth it unless you're a professional. In a later post I will probably go back to look at things you can do with this lens and I will link forward from here when I have posted.

Anyhow back to the testing. The method, not very scientific, was to find a place to stand and then take a shot of the same scene using each of the picture style settings in turn. The first place I stood was in a old lane under the trees so it was even darker than out in the open and the camera would have to work to get enough light. On the fully automatic setting the camera opened the aperture a bit, increased the sensitivity and used a fairly fast shutter speed. In portrait mode the camera opened the aperture to almost fully wide open as expected, dropped the sensitivity back down and had a slightly slower shutter speed. In landscape mode the camera closed down the aperture to get the wider depth of field, put the sensitivity back up and dropped the shutter speed down to the minimum for the focal length. Interestingly in macro mode the aperture was between what the camera had set for landscape and portrait.  I guess the camera was after a medium depth of field which makes sense I suppose because if you're taking a macro shot you probably need a bit more depth of field than for a portrait. On the sports or action mode the camera opened the aperture up wide again and increased the sensitivity so that it could set a faster shutter speed.

On my second set of shots I was out in the open and taking shots of a tree with the murky sky behind. This time the fully automatic mode closed down the aperture a bit more than before, had the same sensitivity and had a much faster shutter speed. The portrait mode again opened the aperture to almost fully open, dropped the sensitivity again but this time had an even faster shutter speed. In landscape mode the aperture was the same as in the fully automatic mode but this time the sensitivity was reduced and also the shutter speed. The macro setting had the same aperture as before, dropped the sensitivity slightly and also had a faster shutter speed.  In the sports mode the aperture was the same as for macro but the sensitivity and shutter speed were higher.

Overall I believe that this more or less agrees with what I wrote last time except that I didn't think there would be much difference between portrait and macro modes. On reflection I can understand why the macro settings would want a greater depth of field so that's something I have learnt. The one thing that I did find interesting was how in the second set of tests the camera seemed to keep the aperture and sensitivity settings fairly similar to the first set but increased the shutter speed quite significantly. I'm not entirely sure that I agree with this approach and I will discuss this in the next post when I start to cover exposure.


One last set of tests were straight comparisons between portrait and macro modes when taking a close up of some holly berries. Strangely in the test shots that I took the camera used exactly the same settings for each shot in both portrait and macro modes. This threw me to begin with but then I realised that in the portrait mode the camera had determined that the subject was very close and therefore decided to increase the depth of field. I said that the camera was very good at recognising the situations and adjusting the settings to suit. 

I think that in conclusion I'm very impressed with how my camera used not only the picture mode that I have chosen but also everything else it can deduce from the scene when it makes its settings. As I keep saying the next post will be starting to look at exposure and hopefully this will help to explain a bit more about the settings that the camera decides upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment