A Place for New Photographers and Those Wanting to Learn the Basics

I bought my first and only DSLR in September 2007 and have been a very keen enthusiast ever since. I usually go out walking and taking photographs at least once a week and try to post regularly on my blog 'Let Me Show You What I See'. I feel that I need a new project so I decided to start this new blog to pass on what I have learnt in the last three years to anyone just starting out in photography or wanting to know a bit more about how to use their photography equipment. I still consider myself to be little more than a practiced beginner so it's going to be at a fairly basic level but hopefully understandable to anyone who is starting out with thir first camera or struggling with their equipment or technique.

I have been contemplating what strategy to follow with the order of topics to cover because I'm wanting to keep each post quite short and gradually build up into a useful resource. In the end I decided to start with a post about taking your first photos and then see where the subsequent posts take me. I will number the posts based on the order I first write then and I might go back and update them with extra information or links to other posts as I progress through the subject matter. I will try to make the content generic so the make and model of you camera isn't relevant and hopefully useful for either DSLR, compact or point and shoot cameras.

If anyone has any specific questions they would like me to answer, please send me an email or put the questions in a comment. I can't guarantee the accuracy of the answers I provide or anything else I post as I only know what I know. I may express opinions with which people may disagree but they are just my opinions and I am happy for people to disagree. I am hoping to learn from this blog myself as I expect to have a need to read things from my camera manual and search for information on the internet as I cover subjects. I am also hoping that the experience will improve my own photography technique as I produce images for inclusion in the blog to illustrate the specific subject.

Thursday 18 November 2010

005 - Picture Style Settings

So far I've suggested that starting with the camera set to fully automatic because most of the time it can decide what sort of picture you are taking and make the correct camera settings. But what if it doesn't get it right for some reason, maybe you're taking a landscape photo but there's something close by in the middle which fools the camera into deciding that you're making a portrait. What you will end up with is an image where the close by object is in focus but the landscape you were trying to capture is all out of focus. What you might want to do is to take a little more control of the camera by using the picture style settings.

Most modern cameras will have a set of picture styles that you may choose which tell the camera they type of picture you are wanting to make. On my camera there is a dial on the top but sometimes you might have to use buttons on the back or select from a menu on the screen. You will need to check with you're camera manual if it isn't too obvious. Cameras will have a different set of picture styles so I will go through the ones that are on mine and hopefully your camera will have most of the same and maybe others.

The first couple of picture styles are those I mentioned last time so I will discuss them briefly. Firstly 'Portrait' which, as I wrote last time, will typically have a narrow depth of field to isolate the portrait subject and a fairly fast shutter speed to cut down on camera shake or movement by the subject. On my camera the little icon on the dial looks a bit like a head which seems to make sense but of course you could use it for still life too. The camera may want you to use flash to put a bit of extra light on your main subject but you may be able to switch that off if you don't want it.

Secondly is 'Landscape' where you are probably wanting to get most (or all) of the image in focus. Here the camera is setting a wide depth of field and the shutter speed probably is less important because landscapes tend to have less movement in them and you may also be using the wider end of the zoom where you can get away with slower shutter speeds. The camera shouldn't select the flash as the effective distance of the flash is only a few feet however it may choose flash to add a bit of light to the nearest objects. Again you may need to refer to your camera manual if you want to enable or disable the flash. On my camera the icon on the dial looks a bit like some mountains and a cloud.

The next setting on my camera is 'Macro' which I must admit I wasn't too sure how this would be that different from 'Portrait'. Again you'll probably be wanting a fairly narrow depth of field and a fairly fast shutter speed to cut down on shake. I looked in my camera manual and it didn't really enlighten me any. I will do some investigation with this setting at the weekend and may update this post if I find out anything useful.

Next is the 'Moving Subjects' setting which has an icon that looks a bit like someone running. I think that this is one that maybe the automatic setting is likely to struggle with because it may not be able to identify that the subject you aiming capture is moving. You would typically use this setting for photographing sport or anywhere else where you want to freeze the movement of the subject. The main camera setting for this would be to have as fast a shutter speed as possible and have a reasonable depth of field. On my camera it also sets the auto focus to track the subject by refocussing between every shot in case the subject is moving towards or away from you. The sensors sensitivity may need to be increased and the camera may also tend to use the flash if there is a shortage of light.

The final picture style setting is 'Night Portrait' which on my camera has an icon that looks like a head and shoulders with a star in the background. This will also be similar the 'Portrait' setting but as it's for night portraits it will probably always use the flash. For a night portrait you should have the subject fairly close so that the flash will be able to reach and you will probably need to use a tripod to cut out camera shake.

I do have another setting on this end of the camera dial but this is purely for setting the flash to disabled without having to use the menus. Apart from that I believe it just acts the same as fully automatic. You would want to use this setting in museums or sports arenas where flash is either forbidden or wouldn't make any difference to the lighting.

So you can use these picture style setting when you want to either help the camera out or perhaps take more control of the camera. There's nothing to stop you using the portrait setting for landscapes if you only wanted the main subject in focus and wanted to make the foreground and background blurred. Or you could take a portrait using the landscape setting if you were wanting the background to stay in focus. However I suspect that if you were wanting to make these artistic decisions then you'd probably want to have a lot more control but we won't be getting to that stage for a while yet in this blog.

Next time we're going to get a little more technical and start talking about light and exposure. I'm not too sure at the moment how to start slowly in tackling this subject so the next post will be a surprise to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment